Cassis is classified with a "Protected Designation of origin" (AOC) since 1936. Its origins are the ancient Greek colonies settled more than 2500 years ago.
During the Middle Ages, wines from Cassis were then elaborated by the Bishops of Marseille, before being decimated by the phylloxera disease.
The vineyards of the village revived with the help of two men, Emile Bodin, a well-known figure in Cassis, and Jules Savon, the previous owner of the Clos Sainte Magdeleine.
When the system of “AOC” was created in 1936, Cassis was naturally consecrated. Today, the village possesses 11 vineyards stretching over 215 hectares (531 acres), mainly producing white and rosé wines of high quality.